This weekend was PACKED. I’m going to do my best to keep this post to a manageable length.
Let me start with some thoughts about the Weekend Services & then I’ll share a few personal updates about the fam & me.HEY JUDE – Part 2
• ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE – Hopefully you are not missing the Beatles references AND I’m hopeful that you are not losing the message of the book of Jude in the midst of all the fun we are having. Jude is really writing about love & community but he has to deal with what I called the “turd in the pool” (crass, I’m sorry… kind of) of the creepers who are trying to turn the grace of God into something it’s not. I am loving this series & kind of wish that it was longer. But this week’s message had a high degree of difficulty. See having a fun theme & staying true to the text is enough of a challenge, but I also had to factor in Mother’s Day (a beautiful mine field for churches – let me know if you want me to elaborate) and all those families of babies – ayeaya! It was a blast though & God came to my aid.
• MUSIC – we were really slim on worship music this weekend, but our band made the most of it. Then they did that classic Beatle’s song All You Need Is Love. Classic! Complete with a horn section. Much fun.
• MUCHAS BABIES – I always end up loving our weekend baby dedications more than I think. They are a great way to serve these young families.
We need milestones that give meaning to the mundane. It’s also great when a church prays. Prayer in church, done right is seeker sensitive (we are unashamedly a “seeker” church even though that may not mean what some think).
People EXPECT to pray when they get to church. I think a felt need that people have is to learn to pray. So when the whole church sees prayer valued, modeled & then we all pray, the Kingdom of God is on display.
• ED’S A POSER – I try not to be too sentimental. Most of you would have no trouble placing me on the cynic / sentiment scale. But there are always a couple of moments in services like this where I choke up. One tiny little guy up there with only his mom let me hold him while we prayed & he just buried his head in my chest.
I had to consciously say, “Hold it together Ed”. It was such a marvelous kingdom picture.
• OC BOUND – I drove up to Garden Grove (did you know there is a Sublime song about my home town – it’s a nasty song, but at least we have a song) to take my mom to lunch for mother’s day. She picked this authentic Mexican place where you get huge food for small cash. I love you mom!
• DAVID’S PROM – I rushed home so I could help David put on a tux & tell him what the various buttons in the plastic bags were for. Then we met at his date’s house to take pictures (thanks Suzie). David went with (stay with me here) Bethany’s boyfriend’s sister who was home from Azusa Pacific U. Then we went to dinner with her parents. Good times!
• MOTHER’S DAY – my wife wanted to have her favorite pizza (lots of veggies) and have me not sitting in front of the TV watching the Lakers. Which tuned out to be mercy from God as they STUNK it up Sunday. After we chilled a while we went to do one of her favorite things & walked along Sunset Cliffs & tried to watch the sunset.
The marine layer was moving in so, not much sunset, but there was good looking swell, that made me anxious to get in the water on Monday.
• FINALLY WET! I was able to get out for a ridiculously fun surf session today – warm weather, silky warm water, 2-3 foot waves, very few people, all of which knew how to surf. So fun!