Last weekend was the closest I’ve had to a “normal” weekend in a while. Fresh off the LEADERSHIP SUMMIT we kicked off an important series on prayer. We put all our best creative people together who are good at branding and we came up with the series title… “PRAYER”.
• PRIMAL / UBIQUITOUS PRAYER – I’ve come to the conclusion that prayer is a great topic for the spiritual seeker, for the not yet committed. I think that everyone prays. We have a weird approach / avoidance thing going on with prayer & seeking God in general. To that end, it was a great connection that our band made by performing the Carolina Liar song, “Show Me What I’m Looking For…” Poor grammar. Great song!
• BETWEEN THE WEEKENDS – More than most series, this one is more about what happens between the weekends. April King wrote a prayer guide & journal, which has 5 readings and exercises to go with each weekend of the series. I’m on day 2 as of this writing & it’s fantastic. I’m loving it.
• NEW NORMAL – We really want this month to be an invitation to journey along the path of a “NEW NORMAL” for you & God. There’s going to be tons of opportunities to dive in & try things together that may be new. Some of them will be a stretch. Of course our various prayer teams are recruiting people to dive in!
• TEACH US TO PRAY – There is a place for the prayer alone. A vital place that Jesus modeled. But there is a place for the prayer of the community, the US. It seemed to me that may sense of experiencing something together at the Leadership Summit was heightened by all the people posting real time comments & impressions on Facebook. So, thanks to my colleague, Todd Tolson we’ve created a place to post thoughts, learnings and even ways that God may be speaking to you on Facebook & twitter. In fact I’m caving TODAY and going to start with my 1st TWEET! I’ll make sure that they go up on FB also for those of you gallantly holding out.
• FRIENDS – We had a couple of cool friend times this weekend. Surfing wise it’s always way more fun when a whole crew of people show up & that was the case Saturday. The conditions weren’t epic, but it was major fun. Then our long time friends Barbie & Donnie Rea came down from Ventura. It’s great to reconnect.
I have a sense that more than usual, God is going to do something in our lives over the next month.